S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:55:48 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2004 1:44:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:
I use an
indexing set of hammers to determine the bore distance, but when it comes
time
to determine hanging distance, I use the hammers that will be installed.
Understood. With NY or Ronsen hammers, I usually use previously-voiced
dummies for the hanging length, since I like to do even the initial juicing after
hanging. It works the other way, too - check a few for tone, dope 'em, and hang
to test strike line.

Soft hammers can indicate a different strike point than they will after
they're stiffened up. Anyway, the point I was making is that, especially if hanging
Renners on a NY piano, it doesn't do to copy the old strike point, even if it
sounded good. Ideal strike point varies with weight and stiffness.

Bob