Bridge Caps - Soundboard Shipping

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:47:15 -0500

Hi Fred,

I ran into trouble while finishing your bridge caps. With the few sets =
of laminated caps I have made, I have used a method where I lay up the =
individual laminations in a piece-meal staggered jig-saw manner (hard to =
explain). Anyway, the pieces usually end up just barely covering the =
bridge width - there is no room for error. When I apply epoxy and =
assemble, I lay a pinblock over the cap and pray that nothing =
moves/slides/etc. Actually, I have been surprised in the past that =
things worked out. I've been waiting for a disaster. A few times I had a =
little movement, but it only resulted in some cosmetic defects - I don't =
necessarily mind that on my pianos, but I would not want to send =
something like that out the door to another technician.

Anyway, I epoxied the whole mess together for your long bridge on =
Tuesday. I removed the pinblock clamp yesterday morning only to find =
that somehow the whole thing slid - kinda like a mud slide, but instead =
of mud, it was your bridge cap laminations. What I ended up with is =
nothing but one big very hard mess.=20

I need to start over on the caps.

My former method resulted in a cap that covered the long bridge in one =
piece (I kinda liked that). I would like to try doing it the way Ron =
Nossaman makes his laminated caps. The actual laminations are basically =
the same as mine, but he makes up individual sections of the long bridge =
in pieces. So the long bridge would be a three-piece cap. You would cut =
and trim the cap material in much the same manner as you would with a =
traditional solid cap. There would be butt joints in the cap under the =
two struts. Using this method, I can use wider pieces for my laminations =
and run little if any risk of things sliding out of place during the =
epoxy thing.

What that means though is more time. I need to make a jig for cutting =
the pieces on my bandsaw (a sled, or truck). I will order parts for the =
jig this morning and have them by Saturday. I can have the caps =
completed within a week.

The soundboard is just sitting in my shop, wrapped up, ready to go (as =
it has for weeks). If you are ready to get to work on that, I don't want =
to hold you up, and I will ship that separately any time you want. I =
will then ship the caps as soon as they are done - I will absorb the =
cost of any additional shipping. If you are not quite ready for the =
soundboard though, we'll just ship everything together when the caps are =
complete.

Please let me know. Sorry about the cap delay.

Terry Farrell