Monochord

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:51:06 -0600

--=====================_4133794==.ALT
List,

I've put this on the caut list also, but by the time I left
today, had not found out anything.

Does anyone know anything about these? One of our theory
professors found one in storage here and wants to use it
in some of his classes. The problem right now is that one
of the 2 strings is missing.

Here are some specs:
1 meter (39+") speaking length
pitch should be 1 octave below middle C
current gage is .029 (12 ga. in piano wire)

There is also a movable bridge, so the tension
can't be "too" great on it.

Does anyone know the appropriate type of wire for this?
Harpsichord wire seems like it would be too thin. How
about Fortepiano wire?

The current string does not seem to be piano wire and
I think that would be too heavy for this.

At 09:56 AM 1/22/04, you wrote:
>The problem right now is that one
>of the 2 strings is missing.

Pythagoras had the same problem with his model... hence the
name.             :)

To forestall any further comments about the "monochord"
having 2 strings, :-) here's what I found on a Google search.

I wondered about the two strings, also.

But from a Google search I did, I found this at

http://folklora.lv/muzikas/giga/en.shtml

     The monochord has been created in Sweden in 1829 for accompaniment of
spiritual singing.
Probably through the Lutheran parochial schools, monochord has got to the
Latvian peasants,
and they have begun to play on it, to make it and to improve it (the same
instrument, but with
two strings has been developed).

    Monochord consists of a long, rectangular body, stuck or hammered
together from wooden plates.
In the upper plate the sound holes are cut and a stepped rod (neck) is
attached, on which a string
(or two) is put.

And from a different site:

http://4.1911encyclopedia.org/M/MO/MONOCHORD.htm

In order the better to seize the relation. of various intervals,
a second string tuned to the same note, but out of reach of
the bridge, was sometimes added to give the fundamental.

Avery

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: monochord.jpg