Upright Hammer Butts

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:17:00 -0600

>So, how many times have you run into this?

Hi Barbara,
Two or three a year, typically, courtesy of the local Yamaha dealer. I
still have (I think) two pianos out there with the letoff rail at half
mast, and due to be corrected with the next tuning. Interestingly, when I
do the final pass on getting letoff back where it was before I messed it up
enough to satisfy them, they usually comment on how much better it feels.
Sometimes I think I'm living in a Monty Python movie...

>  Still, it
>was no excuse for not playing to the bottom of the key and a better pianist
>would have said, "Hey, this piano is too loud, I can't get a good pianissimo
>from it!"

That's the theory, anyway, but isn't it a surprise and a real treat when it
happens?

Ron N