Terry Farrel: A440 or bust! (Or not.)

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:36:10 -0600

Long-term flattening (word?) tends to be fairly even in a piano in good
shape. But seasonal pitch changes are often different in different areas
of the piano, as you describe. The preceeding factoid is based soley on
my observation--if threatened, I shall disavow any knowledge of any
thing. No one who knows me would question my ignorance.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Neuman [mailto:piano@charlesneuman.net]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 1:06 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Terry Farrel: A440 or bust! (Or not.)

That reminds me: Around these parts (Long Island), it's really cold
outside and dry heat makes pianos flat. I understand it is common to
leave the piano a little flat in the winter and a little sharp in the
summer. How much is an OK amount to be flatter than A440?

Also, on a recent tuning I did, different parts of the piano were flat
by different amounts. In the temperament region, it was flat by about 15
cents. In the upper treble and parts of the bass, the strings were only
a couple cents flat, if any. Some were even sharp. I suspect the
previous tuner hadn't stretched the piano much. On the other hand, could
this have been due to the change to the dry environment this winter?

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.