Broken Strings - repairing them (was key cover blues)

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:03:09 -0000

Hello List + Terry Farrell
You said: "=20
May I suggest that if you are breaking strings at "...such frequency =
that I have developed my own pre-formed knot system..." you may want to =
reevaluate your pitch-raising techniques and criteria?" (Sorry I put it =
not quite in context ) - Not really, Terry, it's just because nobody in =
this Benighted Isle likes spending money on pianos and we poor techies =
have to cut our potential costs accordingly. Does the fact that "nobody =
here likes spending money on pianos" ring a bell? They don't look after =
them, the strings go rusty and then they expect me to do the miracle =
cure - and bring "grannies" piano up to pitch 'cos little Johnnie is =
taking violin lessons. Golly! You know the scenario. It looks like a =
piano so it IS a piano. It looks beautiful (with its walnut veneer case, =
fretwork and candle-holders) therefore it needs to be at the right pitch =
for Johnnies violin. Moth? Can't have! It was tuned only ten years ago! =
Wrong pitch? OK. You tune it up! Strings might break? OK you fix them! =
etc. etc.  All I'm saying (or attempting to say) here,is the strings may =
be old and brittle - but there's a chance - just a chance, mark you - =
that it may be possible. Under these conditions indeed one does slacken =
off before pitch raise. One also puts a touch of "magic" (WD40) on the =
Bass strings at the agraffes or top bridge - and likewise on the =
"metals" at the same point. Only a "touch", mind you. Remember this is =
"Grannie's" old clunker. So I have indeed become a dab hand at "String =
Repairs" - in the truest sense of the term. Re-evaluate? "Sorry, Madam, =
that piano needs throwing out. Burning. That's the way to lose your =
local esteem. Not to say I never do say that - but only when that is the =
only realistic approach - and they've obviously got enough of "the =
ready" to replace it. Done on a Time basis it usually works out quite =
inexpensive for the client - maybe an extra half-hour on a pro-rata =
basis.
Have phun
>From beautifully sunny Sussex on Sea
Michael G (UK)