Thinning Ribs (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:24:31 +0100

Thanks Joe.

I suppose this thing should be fit to attach both to the soundboard and
the ribs. How thick and how wide do you think this should be ?

As for downbearing.... Even if I put say a 2 degree string angle on the
bridge... how much downbearing can we be talking about here... I suppose
this is a good time for me to figure what John Hartman asked me to do a
while ago.  Seems in principle simple enough. Finding the individual
string bearing is just a matter of the length between the termination
points the angle at the highpoint of the bridge and the tension on the
string. Just havent gotten around to adding up 250 strings worth of it
yet... grin.. Here there are lots less strings... but they are puresound
and much thiner then modern strings..  In anycase... I'd kinda figured
that the panel didnt need to be so very stiff in the face of whatever
downbearing there will be.

Anyother thoughts out there on this ?

RicB