Chinese Pianos.....arrrgh!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:10:35 EST

List,

I've been negligent at perusing the contributions to this list of late,
mostly because I've been too busy working.  While I've had the opportunity to work
on many Seilers, Kawais, M and Hs and Steinways, some of this work has been on
cheapo Chinese built pianos.  The no-name(who WOULD put a name on this
thang?) upright unit I worked on yesterday looked like a piano.  It came apart like
a piano.  There the similarity to a piano ends.  I think I've seen an
instrument like this with a Niemeyer decal on the front.

It sounded miserably whiny, as though the strings were made of bailing wire.
The key bushings were sloppily installed, the punchings were made out of this
gray fuzz that is already disintegrating despite the fact that it is a new
piano.  The keypins were installed at all kinds of angles.  Most of the keys
were binding.  The balance rail had swollen causing the jacks to lift all of the
hammers a couple of centimeters off the rail. The let-off ranged from an inch
in the bass to blocking against the string in the middle of the piano.
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...PSO would be too kind a way to describe this
piano.  It made me nostalgic for Pearl Rivers, which have become qite acceptable,
especially in comparison to this animal.

And if you ever work on a Dongbei piano--could be Story and Clark, Weber, or
any of a number of other decals--be careful when easing the keys.  The new
Weber I serviced last week had keys that felt like chewing gum when reamed.

Where's my flame thrower?

Dave Stahl