!Re: OT: Kevorkian who?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:28:22 -0500

Hi Ric,

Don't get me wrong.  Never was there a bigger enthusiast for space
exploration than is typing this email right now!  I remember very vividly
watching Neal Armstrong set foot on the moon in June of '69, when I was 8 yr
old.  Wow!  I thought just a bit bigger during the Apollo missions, and I
think that's partly to blame for my having been suckered into becoming a
scientist!  ;-)

BUT....

There is absolutely no reason to return there!!

Returning to the moon is already sucking every penny out of NASA's budget.
Bush nailed them with an approx. $100B directive and only gave them $1B to
do it, meaning that they're instantly approx. $99B in the hole, just to play
a few rounds of golf and hop about like a kangaroo.  Yes, more funding will
probably be appropriated, but I bet it won't  be nearly enough.  NASA is
already doing some *serious* belt tightening.  For instance, refueling
missions to the Hubble telescope have been scrubbed, and the Earth's most
powerful observatory will soon burn up on reentry.  How stupid is that?!

Now, sending men and women to Mars???  I'm 500% on board with that one!  I
would be very surprised if Mars didn't once support life, and in fact I
think there's a slim chance it may still have microbial life.  (Remember,
the Viking's assays for organic materials were ambiguous, but not negative.)
I fully expect we will find fossil records on Mars some day -- perhaps
nothing very advanced, but perhaps every bit as impressive and diverse as
what we have here on Earth.  We may even find genetic material and learn
some very important things about the essential biochemical underpinnings of
life .  I suspect our setting foot on Martian soil will mark the onset of an
era of biological and evolutionary discovery such as we have not known.
What a brilliant age to be a scientist!  Just imagine!

In all this, I wonder what the *real* reason is that we are returning to the
moon.  It's surely not to stage a mission to Mars.  It would be nonsense to
launch equipment, materials and fuel from the Earth, land them on the moon
(difficult/risky, without an atmosphere), at a cost of 1000 lb of fuel for
every lb of payload, reassemble them in a rather hostile environment, with
gravity (requiring lots of really big machinery -- even at 1/6g), and then
blast them off again, en route to Mars.  Instead, why not do it all in
microgravity, in orbit around the Earth, as originally planned?  Makes a
whole lot more sense.  Less fuel, better support, greater ease of assembly,
less wear and tear on the equipment, easier to exchange out personnel.  Duh!

But alas, there must be military importance to the moon.  That's what drives
the folks in the Whitehouse.  Right?

<yawn> Time for bed....  'Nite...

Peace,
Sarah

Sorry for the political rant, folks, but this little moon folly has me kinda
steamed -- and my personal, per-citizen share of the bill will be something
like $300 or $400, which makes it hurt all the more.  I'm also steamed that
we didn't stick by our original plans to land on Mars by '95.  But hey, the
iron curtain fell, and so why bother?  Right?