Wurlitzer Stringing Scale

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:44:21 -0600

Mark,

Close, yes, but hard to imagine it couldn't be improved.  Travis lists similar scales for Wurlitzer, but nothing identical.  A good scale will make use of wire half sizes to avoid large discontinuities in tension/inharmonicity.  It's unusual, in well scaled pianos, to see more than 4 or 5 notes of the same size in the treble.  Pick up a sopy of P-Scale software from Tremaine Parsons (advertises in the PTG Journal) or hire someone to rescale the piano.  Do the bass strings also.  There's definitely lots of room for improvement.

Mike
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 1/27/2004 11:03:04 PM
Subject: Wurlitzer Stringing Scale

Hello,

    This is a shot in the dark, I found your e-mail on an old post on the internet and I'm hoping you can help me.  I have a 1924 Wurlitzer Kingston Recordo player grand, a small one. 4'10" and I'm hoping you have the resources I don't.  Would you happen to have the factory stringing scale for the treble section of this piano?  If so I would be forever indebted to you, otherwise, it's o.k. Any information as to where I might get this information if you don't have it would be greatly appreciated.

Does this even sound remotely close???

Unisons        Gauge
02                19
07               18