Gulbranson Console & Knabe Grand Qs

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:54:13 -0600

I recently brought a Gulbranson Console back up to pitch and tune.  I
encountered a curious phenomenon that I'd like to delve into.  When I
brought the unisons into tune I would eliminate interference beats but
would open up another quaver (the best I can describe it) that was
consistent throughout the mid treble.  I tried re-tuning several times and
it opens up only when the unisons are well in tune and the intervals sound
OK except for the quaver in the notes.  The speed, fast, was fairly
consistent from one note to the next.
The customer stated that this was the best her piano had ever sounded, was
ecstatic, so I didn't bring that up.  I'd just like to be armed with some
ideas for next time I encounter it as I hate it.

The next piano that day was a Knabe 6' grand and quite a joy to bring
25cents plus up to pitch.  It had four/five pins at the bottom of the bass
driven so the coils were all the way to the plate.  I CA glue treated them
and some notchy pins at the high treble.  I'm wondering if it is possible
to ream the holes a little and shim with sand paper without breaking the
coils.  I'm thinking of loosening the tension on those strings and then
driving the pin out from the bottom.  Problem is, is it possible to drive
it back in with shims?  Or can those heavy bass strings be unwound from the
pin and reinsterted without breakage?

Be-quavered in New Mexico
Andrew