Glassing pinblocks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:40:27 -0400

Epoxy, like polyester, has two components - resin and hardener. Yes, epoxy
is sensitive to proportions, but that is easily dealt with by using the West
System pumps, or, better yet, a scale.

I know what you mean about the West System #406 Colloidal Silica filler
being "dusty". It blows all over the place and is a bit difficult to mix.
That is why I never use it. I don't like it. For this type of application, I
use #404 High Density filler. It doesn't blow around as much, mixes much
easier, and cures to a more dense hardened epoxy mass. You can mix in as
much as you want to make it any consistency from something like honey (which
would be too runny for a pinblock fit) to a peanut-butter consistency. That
solves your viscosity preference. If you want it lower density, mix in some
#405 Filleting Blend filler. It mixes very easily.

With references to developing sensitivities to epoxy - I have heard that is
possible. I don't really know any more than that. Wear gloves. I do know
that polyester stinks to high heaven - way, way more than West System epoxy.

I use epoxy on the block/flange fit - it is fast, easy, and yields a perfect
fit.

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com