Center Pin Extractor

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:50:23 -0400

A new(?) vendor at the Nashville conference was selling tools. Two =
tools. A nice looking tuning lever and a very nice looking tuning pin =
extractor. I have two of the extractors from Schaff. They work - kinda - =
if you lube them and if the planets are properly aligned and the moon =
phase is full. They work, but not well, and I always curse them when I =
use them.

The new extractor this guy had seemed VERY nice. It appeared to be a =
forged upscale clone of the cast supply-house tool. The machining was =
very good. Operation appeared excellent - very smooth. I would be =
surprised to find this tool binding up in its operation.

Who was the new tool vendor anyway? (I didn't write the name down.) It =
was a hyphenated last name.

I will be buying one. Anyone want to buy a really ?nice? used =
supply-house extractor?

Terry Farrell

  Schaff has kind of a bench mounted device that is not too expensive.  =
I have 2 of them mounted on a block of wood that I clamp to the bench =
when I'm centerpinning.  One is for extracting the pin, and the other =
for pushing it back in.  It's not the most precise machining I've ever =
seen, but it works fine.

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT
  Meadows School of the Arts
  Southern Methodist University
  Dallas, TX 75275

       There are several types of centers pin extractors and inserters =
on the market.
  I am looking for one that is relatively cheap and can get the job done =
with little effort.
  Does anyone have any comments on different types of extractors  they =
might have tried over the years and found worthwhile buying.
  George