price fixing -- sort of

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:00:07 -0400

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>percentage or
>surcharge for Sunday or holiday tunings?"
>
>Mark,
>You betcha! Triple on Sundays, (my designated REST day), and Double on
>Holidays, (the regular type), AND Quadruple on Christmas and New Years days.
>While I'm at it: Double for Square Grands, Triple on Square Pianos and 25%
>more for Overdamper Uprights and Players. My current Shop Rate is $55 per
>hour. My Tuning rate is $100, for a first time client, (if it's a standard
>tuning w/in 5cents of on pitch). Pitch raises are $25, $50 & $75 for less
>than 25cents, less than 50cents and anything over 50cents respectively.
>Concert Work starts at $125 and goes up from there. I plan 2 1/2 hours for
>tuning, touchup regulation and minor voicing. If the piano needs more than
>that then the Hourly Shop Rate applies. I don't differentiate between City
>and Country folks. My Travel is: Anything more than 100 miles from my front
>door, round trip is at a rate of $1 per mile. BTW, I do give discounts: 10%
>off for regular clients, that respond to their "reminder" w/in 30 days +/-.
>I give an additional discount to Seniors if it appears warranted. I also
>give various discounts to Dealers and Institutions.
>Hope that puts things in perspective for some of you. If the FTC wants to
>come after me, so be it, as I feel that whole thing is a bunch o Horse
>Pucky, anyway.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>Captain, Tool Police
>Squares Are I

Hi,
 I agree with Joe. Having a planned meeting,and discussing fixing prices
might be one thing,but someone usually calls everyday asking how much do
I charge.If I tell how much I charge,I can in no way make you charge the
same. I charge 90.00 for a standard tuning,and 175.00 to pitch raise and
tune,less than a hundred cents.Anything more than a hundred cents is
225.00.I'm getting reday to go up to 95.00. I give no breaks,period.I
tune at three university's,and if I tune ten piano's,it's the same price
per tuning as one. I do minor repairs sometimes for them, at no charge.
  Good to see everyone at Nashville!
Best,
Hazen Bannister