Jack pins...do they bend?

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:48:41 -0400

On Jul 8, 2004, at 1:10 AM, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 About a month ago I was called to a =
Young Chang grand=20
> piano. The customer complained of one key's hammer not returning after=20=

> a pianissimo (soft) blow. On some forte (harder) blows it didnt return=20=

> either. After taking ourt the action drawer and examining the key's=20
> power train, I did not see anything visibly that could be causing such=20=

> a thing, except that the hammer was slightly close to the next key's=20=

> hammer. I loosened the key's hammer in question and straighttened it=20=

> out alittle so that it was in line as it should be, and that helped=20
> alittle, but the sticking hammer remained sticking ...but not quite as=20=

> often, So it alleviated the problem alittle but not all together.=A0

While providing proper clearance for the moving parts is essential, you=20=

should have also checked the friction in the flanges: hammer, jack, and=20=

wippen. And the purists may even urge you to check the resistance of=20
the balancier flange. A gram resistance gauge  can be very helpful. Oh,=20=

and how is the clearance for the jack in the balancier window? How's=20
the repetition spring strength? And something that the fellows at the=20
party *could* have damaged with their antics: is the jack tail firm?=20
They could have damaged the glue joint between the tail and body of the=20=

jack.

Just a few of the possible causes (tight flanges being my best guess)=20

Patrick Draine=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched