well tempered temperaments

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:34:02 -0400

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the instructions, I was indeed asking how to tune a well
temperament for an aural tuner, though all that didn't seem to come out
:)

A few questions if you don't mind:

- What is 1/12 of a comma?

- When doing step 3 in the P.B. '93 well temperament (and step 3 of
Kirnberger) where tuning the Eb, Ab, etc. via just fifths I presume you
are to cover over 2 octaves? And when it says "Spread this around the
keyboard" I presume that is tuning those notes in different octaves
around the keyboard?

- I am particularly interested in the Young 1799 temperament, which
seems to be highly regarded. Does anyone have a details that could help
an aural tuner?

Thanks!

- John