Piano from Hell

Michael or Margaret Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 06:32:16 -0400

    Rob:
    Sounds like not only was the piano from hell, but so was the =
customer.  I hate unreasonable piano owners.  However, if I have the =
time, I'll take one on.  By that I mean I look at the owner as a =
challenge to educate and eventually win him/her over to my way of =
thinking.  When confronted by a piano from hell, and its obvious that it =
should not be repaired, I make a list,  the most important and expensive =
things first.  In this case your list was very long, but honestly =
reflected the items needing attention. =20
    Then by going down the list WITH the owner, explaining in detail =
item by item what the instrument needs to make it usable, and why, the =
customer will begin to realize (without you telling him) that it may be =
a lost cause.  But if you start out your analysis by saying "it is a =
dead piano and there is nothing left to fix" you may encounter =
resistance. =20
    The idea is to let the customer's thinking flow into the obvious by =
gently pointing out the many, many things the piano needs to bring it =
back to good playability.  Occasionally I'll use a quote from my mentor =
Frank McKowen, RPT from Lansing, MI who said, "You deserve a better =
piano."  This sometimes enables the owner see the light.
    If all that you say falls on deaf ears, its time to pack up your =
tools and say, "You know Mr. Pianist, I'm not sure I can handle this =
job, its probably best to try another technician."  Leave him with hope =
that there may be an answer, and let another reinforce your findings.  =
Maybe that will head him in the right direction,  you've done all you =
can do. =20
    Mike Kurta =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20