Ivers & Pond grand

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:23:13 -0700

>Yes, I would imagine it would put more pressure on the agraffes.

The load on the agraffes is determined by the string tension and
string angles at the agraffes.  I don't see why these should need to
be different for this configuration, but perhaps they are.

>   This piano
>had a new block and strings since the late 70's.  and has always been at
>A-440 since then even though the piano was built in 1901 in Boston.  Just
>wondered what benefits there would be for this conjuration.  All else is
>normal.
>James Grebe

Since I haven't seen this piano (or a photo) I can't say for sure,
but I would imagine the angle of the block mimics the angle of the
string coming off the back of the agraffe.  The strings could make a
direct path from the agraffes to the tuning pins.  So, there wouldn't
need to be an additional pressure point (friction point) as there is
in a configuration where the block is parallel to the string plane.
In theory this would make the piano easier to tune and would make it
easier to equalize tension on the string (one less friction point).
It also means that you don't have a front aliquot, which may or may
not be a good thing, depending on your point of view.

Phil Ford

PS Some photos would be nice.