Old uprights worth saving?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:37:48 -0400

I will have them soon. But have not yet tried to sell.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 10:35 AM
  Subject: Re: Old uprights worth saving?

  In a message dated 7/12/2004 4:31:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
    My opinion on whether old uprights are worth saving is - musically,
    absolutely - but financially, I just don't know, and actually, am a =
bit
    Pessimistic about that -- but I've never sold one.

    I have little doubt that a high-end vertical is not easy to sell for =
high
    $$. How did you advertise and how long were they on the market =
before sale?
    Oh, and BTW, did they say "Steinway & Sons" on the fallboard? =
Thanks.

    Terry Farrell
       In a thread earlier this year I posted that I have restored 3 =
beautiful Victorian uprights for clients to the tune of about $12,000 =
apiece.  2 of these were virgin Calif. pianos, one owner families. The =
boards were fine. Ivory was excellent on 2. Action wood not seriously =
degraded
    Awesome musical outcome. No, this isn't the same as selling them out =
right but selling had a part in getting them rebuilt. I'm finding the =
Victorian stuff is becoming increasingly attractive to buyers. However I =
don't usually buy spec projects in this vein of work anymore. It's a =
very narrow market but at least it's there at times. Know what I mean.=20
  Hey Terry you have uprights with new boards to sell. Did you?
     Dale