SURFACING Hammers!

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:44:47 -0500

It seems to me that filing, etc. refers to one possible operation to =
achieve a result.

Re-surfacing could mean the two faces, too.

How about re-contouring??

It's good that we all know what me mean.  Are we less busy this time of =
year?  I gotta go and practice re-contouring hammers for the technical =
exam.

Mark Ultsch
Madison
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 1:44 AM
  Subject: SURFACING Hammers!

  Julia & Clyde said: "OK, just a different term then for what I usually =
call shaping, sanding=20
  or filing the hammers.  Got it.
  (re. "carding")

  I really wish everyone would use the term "surfacing" hammers, as it =
best describes what we are really doing to the hammer. The only hammer =
that is the exception to this is the Steinway hammer, that has been =
lacquered. Because of the lacquering, the hammer is now one homogenous =
blob that can be made into any "shape".
  Best Regards,