HEY! HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY TO US - JULY 15

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:54:20 -0400

Dear Listers of all persuasions -

I don't know if this coming date was acknowledged at the Nashville
Convention, but it has gone completely unnoted here.  And while those with
first hand information may be able to refine the record, according to the
pianotech archives, July 15, 1994 marks the originating post of what are
now our lists.  I've reprinted it below.

I am not articulate enough to impart, with any poetry or profundity, my
deep sense of the contribution these lists have made to the fabric of our
lives, as technicians and beyond.  I was going to say how it has impacted
the experience of the PTG, and then reflected on the flirtation the lists
have always had with a certain independence from the Guild, as the two
primary lists have always been open to all.  I note, as well, my suspicion
(since I don't have the data) that a sizable percentage of the PTG
membership does not partake of any of them.  Nevertheless, I cannot, on any
regular basis, remain conscious of such a distinction.  These lists would
not exist, as such, without the basic Guild community, and that community
has been indelibly affected by them.   They are a trove.

If I mention any names, I'm likely to offend by omission,  but it's worth
going to archive to note those of the original contributors who have
remained active.  Porritt, Swafford, McNeil are a few, but you
others...you're presence is preserved.  And I would not permit myself to
forgo acknowledging my appreciation to two large presences, Newton Hunt and
Danny Boone.

Thanks to all of you.

David Skolnik