Steinway hammer shape

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:57:06 -0400

Hi,

I read a post from a while back where someone was talking about
reshaping/filing/etc. a Steinway hammer "the way Steinway says to", or
something to that effect. However, they didn't describe what that way
is.

Over the past week or so, I'm seeing (hearing) that my piano's hammers
need reshaping, and before I go about that I thought I'd ask if anyone
knows what the "Steinway" shape is supposed to be.

Also, the highest hammers have deep grooves in them and I didn't want
to file them too much in order to remove the grooves, but soft pedal
usage makes the tone "disappear" (the un-grooved spots are soft). How
much filing can be done on those highest hammers?

Thanks.

- John