Renner Blues (was Re: Ronsen Wurzen)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:24:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Hi Phil,
>
>I'm curious about what you said regarding the Renner Blues. For whatever
>reason, I was under the impression they were more mellow sounding - ideal
>for older pianos. Eventually I'll need to replace the hammers on my 1925
>Steinway L, and I was leaning toward the Renner Blues since I don't like a
>punchy/bright sound.
>
>Thanks.
>
>- John

Soft and hard are relative terms.  I like soft hammers, so the type of
hammers that I use might be categorized by others as very soft and
soft.  It's a matter of perspective.  On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being a
marshmallow and 10 being granite, I would say that the hammers that I like
to use are in the 2 - 6 range; the Steinway hammers being 2 - 3, depending
on the set you get, and the Renner Blues being 6.  I think of the Blues as
'hard' hammers, because I have to voice them down, as opposed to a soft
hammer that I have to voice up.  But they're not hard at all compared to
other types of Renner hammers or many Asian hammers.  Renner USA bills them
as mellow sounding hammers formulated for old American pianos.  They're
mellow compared to the typical Renner hammers that we used to see here a
few years ago, but I wouldn't describe them as soft.  I tend to think of
them as somewhat 'punchy/bright', but once again that's within the range of
hammers that I tend to work with.  As with any hammer, I find that they
work well on certain pianos, less well on others.  And they give a
different sort of sound than a really soft hammer like a Steinway or
Ronsen/Bacon, even if they were voiced way up, so they also give me the ability
to create a different kind of sound for people that want it.  I don't
personally like them on Steinways.  But I have put them on a couple of
Steinways for clients that wanted a more agressive sound.  They were very
pleased with the results.  This stuff is a matter of personal taste.

Phil Ford