well tempered temperaments-start with just

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:35:27 -0700 (PDT)

I think one of the best ways to understand alternate
tunings is to spend some time creating tunings from
scratch. I found it very valuable a couple of years
ago to strip up a piano, and starting with middle c
create a just tuning. Just tunings are the logical
place to start because they are very easy and you will
find that you will start getting a more intuitive feel
for the classic problems of tuning a 12 tone scale.
This is how tuning evolved in the first place.

To really appreciate this however you really need to
spend some time playing in these tunings. I can
remember a feeling of exhileration that came when I
went through Pachelbel's canon in d in just tuning!

To tune an easy just tuning:

Start with c and tune nothing but pure fifths,
fourths, and thirds. For starters make sure the I, IV,
and V chords in the key of c are perfectly tuned. This
will give you all your white keys. make B flat pure
with f. Make F sharp a pure 3rd with D. Make C# a pure
3rd with A. All that's left is E flat and G sharp. You
can tune G sharp to be a pure 3rd with e. and E flat
you can tune to be a pure 5th with b flat or a pure
minor 3rd with c.

The other really easy one is to start at middle C and
tune a circle of pure 5ths. The old fashoned way is up
a fifth, up a fifth down an octave (4ths were not
used), and so on. Stop at C#. Then starting at c
(above middle c) tune down a fifth down a fifth up an
octave, down a fifth, down a fifth and thats it!

Once you play around with this for awhile you will get
a sense of the classic tuning problems. Then you can
start tempering here and there always listening to the
results by playing some simple pieces.