SURFACING Hammers....Should be Wurzen Felt

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:05:43 +0200

On 16-jul-04, at 19:39, Quentin Codevelle wrote:

> Hi all,
> =A0
> Andre Told us that the Wurzen felt brings us back to the quality of=20
> felt that could be found on pianos at the beginning of the 20th=20
> century.
> At that time,was this felt available in the us too, or was the wurzen=20=

> felt only used in europe?
> Is Ronsen the first hammer maker using this felt?
> Because there=A0seem to be=A0a lot of differences between the american =
and=20
> european way to voice the hammers, so I thought a difference of felt=20=

> would explain why the two ways of voicing are different.
> =A0
> Quentin

Hello Quentin,

The Wurzen felt as we know it now, was formerly called 'Weickert filz'.
The name 'Weickert' comes from the Weickert family who owned the=20
Weickert Filz factory in Wurzen (a city north of leipzig).
The Weickert family developed their piano felt in such a way that they =20=

received international awards, so it might very well conceivable that=20
they sold it to the USA as well in those days.
I just looked into Alfred Dolge's "Piano's and their Makers" where he=20
describes on page 120 the development of the felt industry.
He mentions "the Whitehead brothers of Manchester who are said to be=20
the first who made the manufacturing of piano hammer felt a specialty"=20=

He also mentions "Billon and FFortin of Paris and Weickert (1847) of=20
leipzig, Germany. "Naish of Wilton, England, started on 1859. These=20
firms controlled the market until the author started his factories in=20
1871.

Alfred Dolge was a key figure in the American Piano industry and we can=20=

assume that after he introduced his felt and felt presses in the US,=20
his felt and his hammers were of the highest importance in the USA.
The Weickert family probably sold a huge number of hammer felt sheets=20
internationally, but it probably came to a halt after A. Dolge entered=20=

the market.

I personally think that the Weickert family sold most of their piano=20
felt to European hammer makers and we find their products in all kinds=20=

of piano's, but mostly German like old Schiedmayers, Bl=FCtners,=20
Bechsteins, Hamburg Steinways, and many more.
The Weickert family was one of the oldest in the history of commercial=20=

felt makers in old Europe so they must have had a severe impact on the=20=

market of those days.
The Brand family moved in after the fall of the Berlin wall. They=20
purchased the old Weickert factory and the son, Jack brand made it his=20=

goal to retrieve the old secrets of making superb piano felt.
I was among the first Renner customers who discovered this 'new' felt=20
which came back on the market in the early 1990's and found out (to my=20=

amazement) that only a few years later Hamburg Steinway as well as=20
Yamaha used this very felt on their beautiful instruments.

The reason why I write so much about this issue, is that became aware=20
of this new felt development in its earliest stage.
If Phillip Ford calls me "mr Wurzen", he is right. I am an absolute=20
advocate of this great felt development, started anew by Jack Brand,=20
because it was/is a great improvement of the lousy felt we had to work=20=

with during the absence of the Weickert felt, caused by the Russians=20
Communists who occupied the East of germany, and thereby killed a=20
famous and magnificent felt quality (like they killed so many other=20
high quality goods).

As I am merely a piano technician, I have not had the opportunity yet=20
to really delve into this matter, but on the other hand, I have had=20
several opportunities to get a little more knowledge about these piano=20=

industrial developments.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek