on needling old upright hammers

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:36:49 EDT

Greetings,

             We were told in piano tech school NOT to needle hammers right on
the crown. Upon arriving home from 9 months at tech school, I was Jones-ing
to refurbish my old upright and needle the hammers in my Yamaha U3, as the tone
was harsh on both pianos.

              Well, I first did the old upright's hammers. Needled the
"shoulders of the hammers careful to not go near the crowns. Put the action back in
the piano and I heard hardly no change. That horrible harsh, explosive, glassy
sound prevailed. So, I decided to slightly needle just a few of the offenders
alittle closer to the crown. No difference...tried alittle further into the
crowns....To make a long story short, I didn't alleviate the harsh tone till I
deeply pounded the needle right in the crowns of the things! What gives?

               I got the results I wanted, namely a more mellow tone, but
only when I did exactly what I was told NOT to do.

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA