Heller

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:06:47 -0500

Just reading about the passing of Henry Robert Heller, former CEO of
Aeolian- American before all assets were sold, according to the article in
The Music Trades, The family sold the company to Sears during the depression
and at the close of WW II repurchased the company back from Sears and
started expanding it into the largest piano company in America.. I would
assume that Winter made the Beckwith pianos for Sears since the article says
The Winter piano Co. to Sears .  I did not know the Sears connection before
this.
When I began my career with Aeolian Co. of MO in 1962, one of the piano we
sold was a Bradbury spinet , model H, which I assume stood for Heller.
Along the same lines, Yamaha Artist services is located in the building that
the Aeolian Co built in 1926 and in just a few years had to sell the
building because of the depression.  They built it to showcase their
reproducing pianos, and then cheap radios came along and changed everything.
timing  timing   timing
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood