Tuning old upright players

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:22:57 -0500

Odd that this post came up today.

I just spent two days with a 1926 Hamilton that does not have any
tilt-out options. A wing nut and bracket holds down each end of the top
assembly; three small tubes and one large one have to be removed; the
speed control linkage unhooked, then the whole top comes out including a
triple deck set of bellows that engage metal fingers on each sticker.

It's not too bad a job but it is quite heavy and has all those fragile
looking parts that make it kind of scary to deal with, n'est ce pas?

This is all in a senior residence center so I had plenty of onlookers
with questions!

This piano had been refurbished——hammer alignment & regulation
apparently NOT included in the job——but the pinblock was not good. Some
stings waaaaay flat and most at least 135 cents flat. I pumped in 7 oz.
of CA yesterday. Today I chipped it up 10 cents over, than did an ETD
pitch raise and two fine tuning passes.

Slapped in a few player rolls and let her rip. They loved it. Staff and
residents all gathered around and we had a good time. Nice to do some
work that has real, immediate, and appreciated results.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO