Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:22:22 -0700

I think you need to recalculate the scale.  I prefer to substitute bichords for trichords (wrapped) whenever possible.  I don't see any problem with the transition bridge pre se, but sometimes they benefit from modifiying the way the transition and long bridge are tied together.  Adding some mass to the end of the long bridge can also be a benefit sometimes.  Be careful in substituting bichords for trichords before you pull the agraffes and make sure that you can get bichord agraffes with the right shank dimension.  Some of the old MH's used agraffes with a very odd shank and thread size that can't be found anymore.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 7/16/2004 9:01:19 PM
Subject: Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

     To all esteemed scaleheads,
  I just received a AA for a complete rewhatevering & I'm very unimpressed by the bass tenor break. This one is 1919 with 2 bichords & 7 trichords. With all of our discussions about third bridges & such I'm drawing the conclusion that this on is ill devised. Tonally it abysmal to the ear. I learned from a friend who is doing another dated 1931 that this vintage has all 9 transition notes in bichords. He & I have yet to hear it as it's not done.
  I'm considering either switching to 9 bichords with the old bridge but the string lengths seem dreadfully short. Does any one have the string tension logged for this model. My guess is it would be instructive.
  The other option is to do away with most of it and use the small piece that juts out toward the spine.
  Any body out there played with this model?
  My 1950s AA has one long bridge with 5 bichords. It could have used 6 as note27 is wiry sounding. Kind of honky& low tensionish. I'll know more when I run the scale.
 It's obviously a design that has been transitional.
   Any thoughts, Ideas?
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.