Setting Pitch

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:23:39 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Rogers" <jimlr@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 6:14 PM
Subject: Setting Pitch

> I am curious as to what method piano Techs are using to set the pitch of a
> piano.  Tuning forks or electronic devises.  I tune by ear and set an
equal
> temperament with a tuning fork most of the time. Sometimes I find it easy
> set the pitch with quartz tuner.  Your thoughts.
>
> Jim Rogers

    Either way. For those using ETD's, the "fork" is built in.  For those
tuning aurally, they set their first note either with a fork or or an
"electronic fork."  If you want to be dead-on accurate for concert or
recording situations, then use the electronic tuner (make sure it's
calibrated).  For most home situations, the fork is fine -- it's gonna go
sharp in the summer and flat in the winter anyhow.
    P.S.  You can START the equal temperament (your first note) with a fork,
but the rest of the temperament is set by listening to beats and intervals.
Unless you use twelve forks.
    --David Nereson, RPT