on needling old upright hammers

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:25:52 -0500

Hello,

When I bought my Yamaha U1 about 6 years ago, I loved that fact that the
tone was bright.  However, over the past few years, I've come to really
appreciate a much more mellow piano tone.  My Yamaha U1 hammers are like
little pieces on concrete.  In fact, I've been very limited in needling
them the traditional way because the needles bend and break before they get
too far into the hammer.

About 8 months ago, I posted to the list about my interest in really
bringing down the tone and loudness of my U1.  After carefully considering
all the feedback I received, I decided to use a 50/50 alcohol/water
solution.  I really soaked the hammers - sides, crown, everything.  Once
everything dried (about 24 hours), I was surprised at how subdued the tone
was.  In fact, I got a little scared as I thought I might have overdone it.
The piano sounded muffled and I couldn't get any power out of it.  But,
after about three months of playing, it slowly came back up and now, the
tone is again pretty harsh and bright.  About a month ago, I again applied
a 50/50 alcohol/water solution but this time just a little on the
shoulders.  After it dried, there was almost no noticeable difference.  I'm
still wanting to bring down the bright tone and loudness but now I'm
thinking (after reading these posts), that a little needling in the crown
area might be the trick (although all voicing seems very temporary).

For hammers that are extremely hard (i.e., Asian piano hammers), is it safe
to take a 3-needle voicing tool and just really needle the crown to about a
3/16" depth?  What do seasoned voicers think about this?  I can't imagine
that softening the crown to a depth of 3/16" will do any harm.  All the
felt below 3/16" will still be hard and compacted.  I know this is not
normally recommended but, if the hammer is very hard, is it a viable
option?

In my case, not only do I want to mellow the tone, but I also want to
decrease the loudness.  Maybe the only real option to replace the hammers.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "David M.
                      Porritt"                 To:       <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      <dporritt@mail.sm        cc:
                      u.edu>                   Subject:  RE: on needling old upright hammers
                      Sent by:
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      07/16/2004 03:15
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      dporritt; Please
                      respond to
                      Pianotech

Julia:

I think the most effective voicing work is done at the crown, but not deep.
Make a soft surface over a hard core and you'll get the widest tonal
spectrum.  It's great that you can learn this stuff on your own piano.

dave

PS, your last post about your rates tells me that this is now how you are
making your living.  Right?

David M. Porritt, RPT

Meadows School of the Arts

Southern Methodist University