1918 Steinway B

Piannerman@aol.com Piannerman@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:39:59 EDT

Dear List,
    I have a client who would like to sell a 1918 B.  Faults include small
cracks in soundboard, pedals are cosmetically challenged, case would need
refinishing.  Pluses include keys (black show no wear, white ivories are perfect),
everything looks original, tuning pins feel tight.  It's mostly just dirty.  It
has sat unplayed for years and years.

     Her question to me, and my question to you, is - what's it worth?  Yes,
I've done my homework and the Larry Fine book gives a range for an average
Steinway grand pre-1940 of from $8000-12000.  But you folks that do this all the
time might have a different perspective when it comes to the "street" value.
Also, I am not a rebuilder and may refer any inquiries to her so if you would
like to respond privately please feel free to e-mail me directly.

    Many thanks for all the advice, both now and in the past.

Charles Cron