Regular maintenance actions performed during tuning calls?

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

When I initially talk to someone on the phone I
explain that my tuning rates are for tuning only.
Fixing sticky keys, voicing or eliminating a buzz is
extra.

They can understand this. I used to do many simple
fixes for free. Not anymore. If a key is sticking
because of a tight bushing I will charge about $5 on
top of the tuning. The client is relieved to think
that the repair only cost $5 and at the end of the
year the $5 extra multiplied by 300 jobs is $1500! By
doing it for free you give the client the impression
that what we do isn't valuable.

On the other hand, I just serviced a piano this
morning for a long time good client who has been
regularly servicing her piano AND has given me
referals. The piano was up to pitch and the tuning
only had some minor problems. In this case the tuning
took me only 40 minutes. I took the extra time to
eliminate a buzz and touch up the voicing, and charged
her my regular tuning fee ($95 for 1.5 hours)

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net