Mason & Hamlin AA scale

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:02:09 -0400

Hi Terry,

Just to give an alternative viewpoint, no hard feelings :)

I presume these violinists highly regard these older violins either
because of the status of it (which makes it irrelevant to the
discussion), or that it contains a sound not found in modern violins
despite its changes.

When I bought my 1925 Steinway L it was sitting in a showroom with new
L's and a couple of B's and one D. Despite that it needs plenty of
work, has 2 long (but thin) cracks in the soundboard, had deep groves
in the hammers and as such needed voicing, it sounded better than the
other L's and had a notably prettier sound than the B and the D (they
were prepped). I realise many don't consider Steinway's newer pianos as
good as the old, but I've played a handful of older Steinway's and some
older Mason and Hamlin's (neither in necessarily exceptional condition)
and they all contained a prettiness that is hard to find in a newer
piano.

I say this because it might be one reason why piano
designers/manufactures are hesitant to make changes? That some older
pianos are such fine instruments cannot be disregarded * - as a side
note, I'm not a Steinway fanatic.

It's one thing to say we shouldn't needlessly hold on to the past, but
it's another thing to say current piano designers/manufacturers are
living with their head in the sand. That to say only a few independent
piano designers have the knowledge and/or the courage to do better I
find to be riddled with potential foolishness.

I've read through many postings on this list from Del and a somewhat
lesser amount of postings from Ron O. (and some excellent rebuttals!),
and I have no doubt they are both skilled and deserve respect. But I
think those at Steinway, Mason and Hamlin, Bosendorfer, etc., deserve
at least as much respect.

- John

> I don't really understand the boundless reverence given to the =
> developers of pianos a hundred years ago. No doubt at all that many of
> =
> them were very intelligent, very creative, very inventive - hey, they =
> basically invented the modern piano. But just like the inventions of =
> electrical energy, modern medicine, space travel, etc., etc., just =
> because these were fabulous inventions made by brilliant people
> doesn't =
> mean that the basic inventions cannot be improved upon.
>
> My understanding is that most Stradivari and Guarneri violins in =
> professional use today have had significant modifications to them to =
> make them more consistent with what is expected of a modern violin =
> played in a modern orchestra (I'm really not sure what they do to them
> - =
> modified neck, bridges???). Only groups that specifically target
> making =
> music on period instruments might use one of these violins that even =
> resembles an original configuration. So if it is OK to modify these =
> instruments to produce what is generally considered to be a more =
> pleasing sound today, why is there so much resistance to modifying a =
> first-generation modern piano?
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched