feasable voicing tool modification??

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:54:19 EDT

Greetings,

             I got a really good idea!  I have done about 5 hammer carding &
needling jobs for customers who own old, old uprights and I take the actions
home to card and do basic deeep shoulder needling.

              However, when I return the action  to the piano, I find I need
to custom or individually needle the hammers to tonally match/blend the
octaves, or rather, make the side by side notes sound homogonous/alike next to one
another, blending the sections.

               With the action in place, when I attemp this, my voicing
tool's handle gets in the way and is too big to use in the small space between the
hammers and the strings. I don't like the idea of swinging the action back and
forth to needle, listen, needle, listen...etc.

               The great idea is to dismantle the voicing tool, saw off the
1" or so handle insert thereby having just the needle (cartridge?) head in hand
so that I can work quickly with the upright action in place. Is this a good
idea?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA