feasible voicing tool modification??

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:27:54 -0500

Julia,

I have the Yamaha tool but have found it almost impossible to use on my own
Yamaha because the hammers are so hard.  The tool was designed to do just
what you want - to voice upright hammers with having to unscrew and/or
remove the action.  Hats off to anyone that actually has the finger
strength to use this tool with the action in place.  It must have been
designed with the thought of using it for very minor touch up voicing and
evening out a few hammers once traditional voicing has been completed.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      Don
                      <pianotuna@access        To:       Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      comm.ca>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: feasable voicing tool modification??
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      07/22/2004 06:54
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Hi Julia,

There is (or was) a small yamaha tool designed for just this purpose--so I
guess you have Yamaha's blessings.

Take it easy on "out of the piano voicing".

At 12:54 PM 22/07/2004 EDT, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>             & needling jobs for customers who own old, old uprights and I
>take the actions home to card and do basic deeep shoulder needling.
>
>               to the piano, I find I need to custom or individually
needle
>the hammers to tonally match/blend the octaves, or rather, make the side
by
>side notes sound homogonous/alike next to one another, blending the
sections.

>               With the action in place, when I attemp this, my voicing
>tool's handle gets in the way and is too big to use in the small space
>between the hammers and the strings. I don't like the idea of swinging the
>action back and forth to needle, listen, needle, listen...etc.
>

> Julia Gottchall,
> Reading, PA

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca