tuning HT's by ear

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:30:15 -0400 (EDT)

Joe Garrett wrote:
> Sheesh! No it does not. Taking into consideration that ancient =
> instruments had quite a bit LESS inharmonicity would give you the idea =
> that NO STRETCH is more appropriate, IMHO!!

I assume you are answering my question of whether my approach seems
reasonable. Thanks for reminding me that older instruments were not
stretched as much. That gives me more insight into the issues involved.

Just as tuning ET on a modern instrument involves comprimises, I'll have
to decide how much stretch is reasonable for a WT, without sacrificing all
those pure intervals too much.

> However, it is my opinion that any HT on a modern instrument,
> (excluding Modern HT's), is an excercise in futility and maybe a bit
> of stupidity, as well.

For me its not an academic exercise. The best sounds from a piano I have
ever heard in my life have been on a modern piano tuned in the Prinz
temperament. As I develop my ear more, I will appreciate the more subtle
WT's as well.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with ET on a modern piano. We're
forcing a temperament that only has value as a scientific exercise on an
instrument that departs so much from ideal theory that we have to fudge
the tuning just to make it work. The modern piano is probably equally as
poor for ET as it is for HT's.

Charles Neuman