tuning HT's by ear

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:33:47 EDT

Charles writes:

<< Putting aside the pros and cons of ET and HT's, I need to find an
effective way to put some stretch into my tuning.  >>

Using the normal octave checks of 10th/3rds, 17th/3rds, etc.  will allow you
to determine how much stretch you are using.  It is hard to stretch too much
if your double octaves have no more than a 1  bps roll in them.
The slight deviations that you will encounter because you can't use
sequential, chromatic steps to measure will be of little importance in a WT if your
octaves are pleasing to the ear.  I think it was L. Armstrong who said, "If it
sounds good, it IS good".
  Trust your ears,  ET has a woeful habit of making us dependant on the
intellectual testing via intervals as opposed to the purely sensual judgement of
what the instrument sounds like!  If an octave seems to be shakey, measure it,
move it around, and listen to it again.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT