Baldwin accujust hitch pins

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Ed,

Yes, the tight pins definitely stand in the way of a
good tuning.  The friction between the strings and the
felt on the plate (by the pins) is another tuning
obstacle.

There is a very interesting patent by Mr. Conklin
(formerly of Baldwin) about tuning pins without a pin
block.  He addressed the torque problem in some
detail.

Vladan

Greetings,
     I suggest that the greatest cause of instability
in Baldwins is their
insane pin torque.  I have measured over 200 in/lbs in
some and have had one
fine old tuning hammer break while attempting to tune
one.  I no longer take them
on, (arthritis in the wrist made that a no-brainer).
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT