soft pedal on new Kawaii

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:40:42

Hi Ryan,

I suspect the Fazoli version doesn't introduce lost motion.

At 06:53 PM 25/07/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>After all, why would Fazioli bother to put a
>similar-functioning pedal on one of the most expensive
>pianos in the world.

>It is unfortunte that the typical upright action gains
>so much lost motion when the pedal is engaged and it
>is true that it can become a crutch. However a pianist
>with good technique will still have more control over
>the dynamics with than without it.

Not if lost motion is uncompensated for.

>One of the things I really like about my Fandrich &
>Sons upright piano is that the left pedal lifts the
>back of the keys, like the Fazioli. My perception is
>that it magnifies my control over the piano at the
>pianissimo level.

Agreed *if* there is no lost motion there is greater control

>Of the people who claim the left pedal is useless, and
>strictly for marketing purposes, how many are players?

I would not dream of calling myself a pianist but I do play.

>Ryan Sowers, RPT

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.