soft pedal on new Kawaii

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:59:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Don <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca> wrote:

I agree that the lost motion is an undesirable side
effect of using the traditional vertical soft pedal,
but If the piano is decently voiced and regulated it
can still can give more control over the dynamics. If
the feel of the keys is consistant the lost motion
doesn't create much of a problem for the pianist.

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I suspect the Fazoli version doesn't introduce lost
> motion.

Correct, it does not.
> At 06:53 PM 25/07/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >After all, why would Fazioli bother to put a
> >similar-functioning pedal on one of the most
> expensive
> >pianos in the world.
>
> >It is unfortunte that the typical upright action
> gains
> >so much lost motion when the pedal is engaged and
> it
> >is true that it can become a crutch. However a
> pianist
> >with good technique will still have more control
> over
> >the dynamics with than without it.
>
> Not if lost motion is uncompensated for.
> >
> >One of the things I really like about my Fandrich &
> >Sons upright piano is that the left pedal lifts the
> >back of the keys, like the Fazioli. My perception
> is
> >that it magnifies my control over the piano at the
> >pianissimo level.
>
> Agreed *if* there is no lost motion there is greater
> control
> >
> >Of the people who claim the left pedal is useless,
> and
> >strictly for marketing purposes, how many are
> players?
>
> I would not dream of calling myself a pianist but I
> do play.
>
> >Ryan Sowers, RPT
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
>
> mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
> http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
> 3004 Grant Rd.
> REGINA, SK