Spam on our Posts!

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:48:25 -0400

Hi Joe,

>> What the hell is this?????! If there's a way to take that off, please =
do it! I've seen this on others posts as well, so I'm not picking on you =
D.L.<G>

A friend of mine -- one of the early architects of the Internet (besides =
Al Gore, I guess) -- told me that the accepted "netiquette" was to have =
no more than 4 short lines below the signature.  I don't know if this =
convention has changed over the past 7 or 8 years since she told me.

A proper (but fictitious) sig might be as follows:

Pianos 'R' Us
www.pianosrus.com

"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish."

or perhaps...

Pianos 'R' Us
1234 56th St, My Town, TX 78901
608-555-1212 voice; 608-555-1313 fax
www.pianosrus.com

Of course that's rather congested.  I personally would see no harm to =
the convention that if it doesn't fit on a standard, uncluttered =
business card, it certainly doesn't belong at the bottom of an email.  =
Also on my "excluded" list would be any sort of business graphics, as =
they eat a lot of storage room, irrespective of whether the recipient =
has a high-speed or standard dial-up connect.

Finally, I hope it would not be too intrusive on this list to include =
links to parallel businesses in the signature area, provided they are =
simple links, and not an "infomercials."  The reason is that lists like =
these are a great way to draw web crawler traffic, as they are so =
heavily indexed.  IMO, if you have a web site, you are smart to put the =
link at the bottom of every one of your posts, so as to get your site =
well indexed by Google et al.

Peace,
Sarah
(pianotech's self-appointed, pro tem Emily Post <grin>)