feasable voicing tool modification??

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:26:42 +0200

Well Ryan... let me put it too you this way.

Being born and brought up in America, and being taught by american
technicians their many and varied approaches to voicing I can say I have
tried most everything through the years. I listened closely to Franz
Mohrs discussion in his classes, I listened to lacquer enthusiasts,
steamers, water/alcoholers, mushers, and abstract needlers.... and I
always got a result I found difficult to like for some reason or
another. And nothing lasted very long or was very easy to maintain.  And
I never heard that <<sound>> either from my own efforts or from the
experts of these various alternate techniques I ran into through the
years. Not until I started to persue traditional voicing...which by the
way was in the first place stimulated by recognizing the fact that the
most popular voicers over here amoung pianists were always traditional
voicers. Pursuing that tradition has taken me into a realm I find easy
to control, easy to maintain, and yeilds better lasting dynamic range
then anything else I have run into. The only real boundry I must accept
is that the hammers that are to be voiced be of good enough quality that
they can respond to appropriate needling... which is neither draconian
or bizarre or at all difficult phsyically. And experience has taught me
that hammers that are not of good enough quality either need changing
because of wear, or are poorly made to begin with.

Ok... so all that said... one recognizes the realities in this world and
fully understand that often enough one is delt a bad hand one simply has
to play... and one does the best one can.... enter the expression "last
resort".  But a last resort is a last resort......  a shovel is a
shovel... and so on and so on.

Interesting you quote  Darrel Fandrich. His brother Delwin has gone on
record several times exhorting very soft hammers that need a bit of
working up in one fashion or another... true enough coupled with his
<<efficient>> soundboards... but just so.

Finally... all this said, everyone has their own experiences... and
thats why we share them here and elstwhere.  If you get good results
your way then nothing can be better.  My own lead me other directions...
and thats cool too.  If any of us can help someone else find their
<<way>> in all this... then the best of all courses is served....
whatever direction that learning takes the person.

Yes ??

Cheers
RicB
RicB