Odd Agraffe Size

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:52:09 -0400

Entire set, yes. Sounds like you might have a good suggestion for just =
milling down a 1/4" shank to the correct size - the threads are indeed =
the same. However, your point about a process getting old fast is well =
taken. I think as a first step I will evaluate reconditioning the =
originals - they've been well protected with a heavy coat of gold paint =
- and see how they come out.

And now, for something completely different......

Any comments on the concept of a candy-apple-red plate with brass =
appointments - maybe on an ebony grand?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 11:27 AM
  Subject: Re: Odd Agraffe Size

  Hi Terry,

  You're doing the entire set?  Drilling and tapping blind holes in cast =
iron is REALLY going to get old fast.  7/32 and 1/4 are too close in =
size for you to do this if the thread pitch is not identical between the =
two sizes!  If the pitches are different, you will end up with really =
awful threads, and you will likely break off the tap in one of the =
holes.

  If you can find a die of this mystery size, and if the thread pitch is =
the same as with the 1/4", you could probably reduce the 1/4" threading =
to the right size.  (Brass is pretty easy to cut.)  This approach is =
going to get really old, too, but at least you don't risk any more than =
an agraffe from a jammed or broken tool.

  ~or~

  Is it possible to get some agraffe manufacturing company to mill you a =
set of custom ones?  You'll pay a bit of money for them, but I bet it =
would be well worth it.

  Peace,
  Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20