Yamaha Soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:56:10 EDT

Hi Rick
 Koniche wa (undisputed king of Norway)
Actually this doesn't surprise me. Since Sitka spruce is the strongest of
the spruces I believe drying down Sitka that low is possible with out damage if
it's not living in the jungle or missouri
 Even on occasion when I've dried down panels of tight  grained Sitka for the
desert clients to 4.5% EMC, I saw no  evidence of compression ridging after
stringing or before it left my  shop even though my area is a more humid
climate than  Nevada.
 If your taking softer wider grain Eastern spruce or Engeleman then  buckle
your seat belt. Ask me how I know.
   Dale

Hi  folks.

Having spent the month of october at the Acadamy in Hamamatsu, I  had the
opportunity to meet a couple of the more legendary technicians in  Japan.
One of these was a fellow named Mr. Takahara who had been involved  in
design issues for the CF III for many years and recently moved on to
work for Steinway Japan.  You all know me and  my interest in  comparing
some of the information tossed around here on the list with what
thoughts such people have whenever the chance permits, so I asked him a
few things about soundboards and plates. According to him every
soundboard panel meant for domestic instruments is dried to 4 % EMC
before ribs are glued on. This is also the case for several instruments
being made for export, depending on the end destination.  I was of
course a bit suprised by all this given the very high humidity in
Hamamatsu while I was there. When I mentioned some of the concerns aired
on this list about drying panels out so much he simply said it was not
in his experience that this created any special problems for pianos that
are correctly cared for.

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com