Improving Finish Lustre

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 06:53:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I suggest some Howard's Finish Restore.  It wipes on with a rag, shines it up, colors minor scratches and makes an old finish look good again.  It's not a polish or wax, but dries and becomes part of the finish.  Home Depot carries it.  Good luck.
Paul McCloud
San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: "William R. Monroe" <A440WRMPiano@tm.net>
Sent: Jul 29, 2004 5:53 AM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Improving Finish Lustre

Hello all,

A question for you finish folks.  I've a client with a nice grand with a not
so nice finish.  It has a few small scratches, some down through the stain,
and in general has lost a bit of luster.  What's the best way to improve the
overall look of the beast?  It is a walnut, NC Lacquer.  Can the luster be
improved simply with a handheld electric buffer and some compound?  What
compound?  What speed?  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm
really interested in this area, and am curious what all the options are.
Also, any recommendations for books/literature on the subject would be
appreciated.

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.