Neoprene on bridge under string?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:10:14 -0400

Fellow technicians,

I had Yet Another New Experience today while tuning a Wurly studio at a =
church (I'm seeing many of these out here, maybe 20 years old, and they =
sound pretty good, except for the bass/treble break).  (Well, two new =
experiences: had to punch out the hinge pins to get into the cabinet, as =
no one could find the keys.)

The regular piano player who booked the appointment mentioned that one =
string on F2 was way out (a wrapped bichord).  I noticed it had a sloppy =
coil, but looked like the original string, and had no splices.  It came =
up to pitch OK, but later when I checked the bridges (I know, I should =
have done that first), I found the strangest thing: someone had put a =
piece of neoprene rubber (like from a wet suit, maybe 1/8" thick), about =
1/4" by 1", across the top of the bridge, under that string.  It =
extended a little bit past the termination point on both sides of the =
bridge, so I was worried about it making a weird sound, but I didn't =
notice anything.  It didn't seem to affect sustain, either. =20

The bridge pins seemed solid, and the bridge wasn't cracked.  Was this =
just an attempt to fix a wild false beat?

On the theory that this was fixing a problem I didn't know about, and =
that wasn't currently present, I just left it as is.  But why?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV