Improving Finish Lustre

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

List. I just went trough this on a 1925 Chickering at
a sorority:
   Get a gas mask and gloves and take the piano apart.
Outdoors scrub the old wax off with grey Scotch -Brite
pads and Naptha. Then wet sand ( Naptha only! ) any
old unevenness from a previous cheap finishing job.
Then wipe on an oil based stain ( like Minwax ) the
same color as the wood stained beneath the finish.
This will nicely fill in all the old scratch marks,
making them invisble. Wipe off excess stain.
    Then recoat with more NC lacquer when dry. I like
Deft. It is readily available, uniform, dries quickly
and sands well. And can also be bought in aerosols for
quick touch-up. Big dents and scratches can be filled
with it and sanded flat once dry. Rub and polish to
taste ( and budget ).
     This procedure turned this tired and dull-looking
Chickering into a  real showpiece without a full
refinishing.
     Thump

P.S. Do not attempt to re-amalgamate old scratches
into invisibility simply by spraying on more lacquer.
It might not work and you'll just end up with
scratches nicely preserved under the top coat. Neither
try dabbing lacquer thinner on them to  amalgamate
them. They'll disappear, but the thinner will dissolve
the lacquer aound them, making craters and ridges.

The only variation I'd try on the above ( which I've
done on several pianos ) would be to spray straight
thinner at the finish, after cleaning it up with the
naptha and Scotch-Brite. Then sand, stain and build if
still needed.

Spray indoors with risk of explosion.

Outdoors with risk of blushing.

Be careful.