Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:29:00 +0200

Hi Dale.

This was not a D, at least I am pretty sure I remember this being a C.
I will make sure and double check when I go back for the masters course
in October. I did check the two B's at the school and they were
different. The notch width on the leading edge of the bridge in both
cases was very short compared to the back edge in the diskant, and in
the treble section both widths were about the same. Also both B's had no
really obvious difference in the width of the section that comes in
contact with the strings.  But in this 1911 S&S in the Museum the change
in widths both in how much of the bridge is in contact with the bridge,
and in the widths of the notch sections was very obvious. For some
reason struck me as something I hadnt seen (more probably... noticed)
before. Heres another shot of the instrument.  They had another older
Steinway in primo shape as well... a B I think from the late 1800's.
I'll post a couple shots later on tonite.

Cheers
RicB

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/30/2004 4:16:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>
>     Well, like I said its probably old stuff for many of you. Seemed
>     to be
>     really pronounced tho in this piano, and I cant say I've noticed it
>     before... at least not this much. The width of the contact area
>     varied
>     quite a bit... even more then the picture shows, and the width of the
>     front vs back notched area varied even more... tapering down to a
>     very
>     short length in the low treble and very high diskant.
>
>     So whats the reasoning behind these two things ?
>
>     I have a couple B's at the conservatory, one Hamburg and one NY.  I
>     guess I'll go have a look this afternoon and compare.
>
>     Cheers
>     RicB
>
>      Ric
>     This is not a B sorry, Its a D with the uneven unison string
> lengths & uneven rear aliquots.
>    The idea in my opinion is to increase sustain & color at the
> expense of a little power. When I redo this type I put in even string
> lengths. Baldwin also did this.
>   The idea at the ends of the bridge patches is to have less severe
> string length/tension  changes across the plate strut breaks on the
> bridge.
>    Dale

--------------010300000500070108090908
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...