Tuning for violinists

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:21:16 EDT

Hello tuners, tooners, and tunas,

I don't know about the resta y'all, but I'm beginning to get a distaste for
tuning pianos for violinists.  A couple of recent jobs have kind of soured me
to the process of trying to get piano tuning to fit into a string player's idea
of perfection....:-(

Job number 1:  Last job before my vacation in early July.  New Kawai k-25
upright, nice little piano.  Never tuned in store, 15-20 cents #, sitting next to
a window in an area where the fog blows over the hill from the Pacific Ocean.
 Purchased for little girl.  Dad, now a golfer in his spare time, grew up
playing violin.  Inflated sense of aural ability.  I told him that the piano
would go out of tune quickly because it's new, and because of where it's sitting.
He seemed to understand, at least until I got the phone call where he
complained about certain intervals sounding "off."  I explained that blah, blah,
weather, blah blah, new pianos need frequent tuning, blah blah, break in period,
blah blah.  He still wants me to come check the tuning.  No doubt that I'll
find it in pretty nasty shape...

Job # 2:  Nice G-2 Yamaha(5'7" grand), about 7-8 years old.  Not in horrible
tune when I arrived, though it had gone 3 cents or so flat overall, with a few
real zingers in the upper end.  The family was cooking in the kitchen, maybe
12 feet from the piano, and whatever they were making was putting huge amounts
of H20 in the atmosphere.  After I was done tuning, my hygrometer registered
70 percent humidity in the house.

Anyway, he didn't seem unhappy with my work, but I definitely felt on the
spot.  He did fess up to being extremely picky, though he lightened up a bit when
I removed the action(never been done before to that piano!) and explained a
bit about regulation and voicing(desperately needed to even out the tone).  He
said he'd play the piano for awhile and decide how he liked the tuning.

That's my whine for the week.  Some weeks are just nice to escape from with a
shred of dignity.

Thanks for reading,

Dave Stahl